|Crafts & Hobbies Information|
How to Make Quilted Silver Beads
After making the leaf bead, I was impressed with the detail made possible by the metal clay. Therefore, I decided to use the same technique but create a different look. When I finished making these beads, I thought they looked as though they had been "quilted." Before firing, each bead weighed about 5.43 grams. After firing, they are about 3.8 grams each. The size and weight of your beads may depend on how large you make them and the size of the straw that you use for creating the holes in the beads.
To make these beads, you'll need:
6 playing cards
*This mesh material should be easy to find at most fabric stores because they usually carry a variety of trims and laces. If you've ever sewn, you might even have a bag of scraps around that some interesting textures to try.
1. Divide your playing cards into two stacks with three cards in each stack and set them on your work surface with a few inches between each stack.
2. Place your ball of clay in between the stacks.
3. Rub some olive oil on your roller.
4. You should have some oil on your hands now, so take the piece of cloth in between your hands and get it a little oily. It doesn't need much oil, but this will help keep it from sticking to your clay.
5. Roll out the clay.
6. Now place your mesh cloth over the flat clay.
7. Roll out the clay again so that the mesh cloth is pressed into the clay, and pull off the cloth.
8. Now use the knife to cut out a square of clay that measures approximately 1 inch wide and 1 Ľ inch long. Make sure to cut the piece so that all the little squares created by the mesh are even.
9. Take the clay piece and warp it around your straw. I had a little extra clay in my length, so after wrapping it around the straw, I cut off the excess.
10. You want to seal both ends of the clay that are wrapped around the straw together. I used the end of a small paint brush to push the clay together. Be very careful when you do this so that you don't mess up the design on your clay.
11. To ensure that one side of the bead isn't flat, either set the straw up right in a bowl of vermiculite so that the clay is able to dry, or you can position the straw over a small jar.
12. Once the clay is dry, you may need to use fine sand paper or an emery board to file the ends of the bead so that they are even.
13. Fire your beads in a kiln at 1650 degrees F or 900 degrees C for two hours. During the firing process, be careful of the fumes from the plastic straw that will burn out. These are toxic! Do not breath in these toxic fumes!
14. Finish your beads by polishing them.
These quilted beads just show one way to use this technique. So, look around your house for some interesting textures you can roll into your metal clay.
Sterling Silver Beads Wholesale Store http://www.dewatabali.com
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Walking Home Ground -- Retracing the Steps of Muir, Leopold and Derleth to Learn About Our Home Ground - Madison.com
How to Make a Simple Gemstone Necklace
With gemstone beads, every bead is precious. Every bead is beautiful.
Genealogy - Why You Should Get Involved in Your Family History
A few years ago I read a statistic that said that genealogy was the second largest hobby in the United States - second only to gardening. It was no surprise to me as I have been finding and documenting my family tree for almost 30 years.
From Clutter To Treasure: Re-use and Not Reject!
Make use of clutter to decorate your home! Sounds strange? Believe me its possible! While moving into my new house, I had to get rid of a lot of old pots, torn clothes, cracked dishes and chipped china. At my wit's end trying to figure a way out of the mess, it struck me that I could actually use a lot of these to make decorative accents for my new home.
An Easy Way to Understand Your Collectibles
What kind of gifts you often receive? Is it toy dolls, animal figurine, antique, pottery, game, memorabilia or something you consider as a collectables? Well, what ever it is, as long as it pleases you, those entire gifts are full with memory which you then consider as a collectibles. Gifts and collectibles are not contradicting each other; instead they are supplementing each other.
Choosing The Correct Comic Book Storage Box
Most Comic Book Storage Boxes are super strong and come with sturdy well-fitting lids and handle holes that can be left in the closed position for storing or pushed open for carrying. They are properly sized to hold a comic in a bag with a backing board.
How to Make Sea Shell Candles
Collecting sea shells along the beach is a favorite kids summer activity. Take it one step further by transforming their seaside treasures into beautiful decorations or kids make-and-take party favors.
Coin Collecting - A Fun Hobby
Over the years, collecting coins has grown from being just a hobby to becoming a full-blown enterprise with numerous Internet sites devoted to coins. Over the next several weeks, I will give you a little background about coin collecting to help those who want to pursue this as a hobby and maybe even make some money in the process.
Step-By-Step Guide For Creating Collages and Other Unique Picture Frames
So you want to make a collage or perhaps you are interested in creating a unique shadow box to hold your valuable photographs and memorabilia. No problem! Whether you want to create lasting memories using cheap picture frames, discount picture frames or even wholesale picture frames, here are some pointers for creating lasting memories right the first time every time.
More Than A Memory- A Legacy
Everyone has that box of pictures either in a close or in a garage. Even worse yet in a magnetic album.
Origami Instructions - Getting Started
The birthplace of origami is still a mystery. Paper was developed in China in the first century A.
Rainy Day Fun - Crafts For Kids
Rainy days can be so boring for a child?and just as hard on moms. So we give some ideas to brighten your day and chase their rainy day blues away!Shadow puppetsIn a room that is fairly dark set up a flash light so it is facing a wall.
Depression Glass Patterns
Collectors of Depression Glass find not only its beautiful colors fascinating, but its patterns, as well. With many glass producers making this type of glass, as you can imagine, many patterns resulted, creating a wide array of pretty, practical, and inexpensive glassware affordable to every American household in that lean era of history and making Depression Glass one of the most collectible items today.
An Interesting Look at the Cuban Cigar
Even most non-cigar smokers have heard some of the lore surrounding the Cuban cigar. Long revered as the finest and best tasting brands in the world, they have traditionally been extremely difficult to procure.
Wax Pencils, Stickers, and Rubber Stamping in Your Scrapbooks
Another important writing implement for scrapbooking is a wax pencil. Wax pencils are soft pencils designed to write on glass, plastic and photographs.
Scrapbooking Yourself as a Girl, Youth, and Your College Days
Now that you grasp the importance of scrapbooking yourself and see how it can add value to your life, you've decided to go ahead and do it.The next question would be, "What's there to scrapbook about me? I don't have a fabulous or most interesting life like Rosanne.
What Do I Need to Start Scrapbooking?
The best thing about scrapbooking is that although there are a plethora of scrapbooking supplies available on the market, you really don't need a lot to make your very first scrapbook. Basically, all you need to scrapbook is an album, some glue, a pair of scissors, and some photographs or newspaper clippings.
Preservation and Making Copies of Your Scrapbook
You put a great deal of time, thought, and effort into your scrapbook pages. Scrapbooks often are very personalized creative works that are very meaningful to the creator.
Creating Vacation Memories
My daughter and I recently had the opportunity to spend a week at Disney World in Orlando, Florida. We were totally overwhelmed with all the things there were to do, and I had no idea how we would ever be able to remember it all.
Green Thumb Not Required
Ah, the sweet smell of fresh flowers, herbs and fruit. But what if you don't have room for a flower garden or a fruit tree? What about if you always over or under water your herb garden? What happens when your house just doesn't get a lot of sun? And what about when you try and try but you just don't have that coveted green thumb? Sigh.
Creative Soap Crafts
Soap is a craft that is fun and easy to make. It's a great project to do with your kids.
|home | site map|